Friday, November 7, 2014

Mystery Spots



Near Chitre' is Playa el Aguilitto.   This mudflat beach, according to Lonely Planet, is a renowned bird watching area.  So being a geezer, naturally I wanted to go.  So binoculars packed, I headed for the autobus terminal.  LP notes buses every half-hour.  Easy, no?

No.  Like many spots of dear importance to travel guides, no one had ever heard of it.  No one.  Like the mysterious backwater ferries in Kerala, India.  The Kid and I looked for that one for two days. 

Ah well, such is travel.   I started trudging back through the growing heat.  200 meters from La Terminal, I was serenaded with bird song.  In five minutes I glassed two kinds of warblers, a type of downy woodpecker, vultures and some noisy parrots.   OK sez I, damn the mysterious Playa.  I will blaze my own bird watching trail. Failures and rewards in equal measure.   Such is the humour of the travel Gods.  

As an aside, brekkie here is a grab bag of tortilla de yucca, boiled eggs and some assorted meat stew.   Good coffee is much tougher to find. 



Now I am off for Pedasi, near the southern tip of the peninsula.  Small local buses today and the heat is already like a hammer.  Ah, Bueno. 

No comments:

Post a Comment