Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Adios Popayan

It was back to Mana for desayuno worhy of a King, repentant or not.  Mercifully, the senoras had forgotten to turn on the Christian Pop until just before I left.  Thiis time I departed to waves from all three senoras, lots of "con mucho gusto' and other enthusiasms.  I thiink that the commonly held opinion is that one or two more of these meals and I could become a potential convert.  


Popayan is an old colonial city, like Cartagena.  Unlike Cartagena, the old city is not a tourist zoo.  This is a busy, bustling city center with a morning rush hour and long queues for the banks and school offices.  One watches one's step here, or there may be an impromptu meeting with a scooter or bus.  Becasue it is a busy commercial and university center, it is also not as sleepy as the Cartagena's old town, and the air is a littly foggier here with bus and scooter exhaust.  All things considered, Cartagena is the more scenic tourist experience and Popayan is the real thing, warts and all.  

I will miss my busy parque, the best one yet.

Not everything is fun and games here.  This equestrian statue on the hill affords great views of the city.  However, according to Lonely Planet "robberies are quite common here...."   This view was corroborated without prompting by my host at the religious museum.  She pointed to the hill and said it was "Muy peligroso" and that I should not venture up there.  While I was tempted for a moment, I decided that it was not worth provoking the Travel Gods just to prove a silly point.  

So, adios to Popayan and Buenos Dias to San Agustin.  It is a five hour and very slow bus ride today.  Time  to strap on the pack and get moving towards the terminal.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment