Thursday, November 6, 2014

Adios Ciuadad

Today I said adios to Panama City, at least for a few days.  I must be back at Hostel Mamallena on the evening of the ninth so that I can rendevous with the transport for the sailboat and the journey through the San Blas Archipelago.  But for now, I need more space than the Ciuadad can supply.

Transport here is easy and the buses run often.  I was up early for the hostel pancakes with honey.  The Mamallena menu for pancakes is "Once a day, All day".  Coffee and pancakes are free, although do-it-yourself.  Everything else you import into the kitchen on your own balboa.

So it was a city bus back to Terminal Albrook, then a $ 9.05 ticket from Panama City to Chitre' on the Pennisula Azuerro.  I may eventually spell that correctly  but don't hold your breath.  All was well with the bus and the aircon wasn't too arctic.  Regardless of how hot it is outside, one is wise to have a long-sleeve shirt handy for the bus.



We lumbered out of the city and into the canal zone.  The rain was threatening and the clouds hung low and sultry.  I swear that you can take a handful of air, squeeze it, and have a drink of water in its place.  As we passed over one of the huge bridges linking the two sides of the bay where the canal begins, i could see the boats and ships queued up to the West.  To the East were the Miraflores locks.

The bus climbed the coastal mountains. heavily cloaked in canopy jungle.  Further on I began to see the billboards for either all inclusive resorts or suburban communities.  On the hills were the little suburbs for Ex-pats or wealthy Panamanians.  Far off, where the beaches must have been, were the condo towers of the resorts.  

A bad pic of our freindly cop, but I wasn't pushing my luck.


As we topped another hill on the Pan-American highway, the bus suddenly pulled off and stopped.  The Panamania highway patrol, of whom I had seen numerous members, had stopped us for a paperwork check.  Given a chance for a well deserved piss, I walked a few meters into the jungle to answer nature's call.  Always a good idea to keep an eye on your vehicle when you leave it, no matter where.  Things have a tendancy to start up and drive, motor, float or fly off when you least expect it.  It may be awkward to run back to the transport with your bits not quite secured, but it is not nearly as awkward as being fully buttoned up on the side of the road with your gear heading south.



I cannot imagine why anyone would want to stop this bus.  It looks tip-top, don't it?

Four hours later we rolled into Chitre'.  It is only a mere kilometer from the terminal Herrara to El Centro, but by the time I got to the Santa Rita Hotel, I was drenched in sweat.  A fan room here, complete with tiny balcony and an ensuite bathroom, goes for $23.10.  It may be a bit noisy tonight as there is a bar on the ground floor, but the ceiling fan works and I have a catbird seat for watching the street life.  



There was more exploring done today, but that is for another post and the wifi here in the lobbly is tenuous at best.  



Ciao for now Amigos y Amigas 



No comments:

Post a Comment