Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Otavalo Morning

Morning Graffitti 

The sun was shining brightly through the high Andean air as I hit the streets for a little hill climb to work up an appetite for brekkie.  The local folks were just starting to stir as I headed East, climbing up above the glowing town.

Otavalo from above with the crazy "Bird Building" overlooking it all.


Ready to eat, I dropped back down the hill, threaded through the mercado on the East side, and grabbed some pineapple on a stick to tide me over.  As the Reverend Foreman says "Everything tastes better if it's served on a stick."

I crossed the town and found my spot at the main mercado, where huge pans like giant woks were waiting, filled with a crazy assortment of food that all goes on one plate.

You've got your rice, vege, noodles, taters all supporting a fried egg and all for a buck.

Brekkie needs to be washed down, and the coffee in the mercado tends toward the instant variety, so I opted for some fresh juice instead.  Today's choice was carrot-orange.

I diid a few laps around town, mostly to grab coffee at my two favorite spots, but also to savor the brilliant sunshine before heading to the bus station and Quito.  Here are a few images that I will remember fondly.

My favorite people watching spot, the main parque.

The bustling Plaza de la Ponchos as the craftsfolk get the show set up.


One of the few photos I have with one of the locals in it.  The Indian folks really do not like having their photos taken so I have kept the camera in its case whenever they might be in the frame in a personal sort of way.  At a distance no one seems to mind.  

Otavalo has been a special place for me.  This is a great walking town and a great shopping town.  I recommend this place to anyone passing through Northern Ecuador.  Alas, it is time to move on.  Today I am heading for the big city of Quito, which lies 2800 meters above sea level.    










No comments:

Post a Comment